Sunday, February 17, 2008

TV

You know, the Wood County Library really is a nice place. Sure they don't have the best selection of books and their music collection sucks but as far as local libraries go it's a good one. Not only do you get a free cup of coffee when you are there (forget that sign that says you have to donate) but today I walked in and there was a string quartet set up just playing away.

It was nice.

But the thing I really like about the WCL is they have a surprising selection of movies.

There are only about 5 small shelves that they wheel out every day and move to different corners of the main floor on what seems like a whim. But in that small stack they have a lot of really good movies, classics and zany French comedies and action movies and TV shows; they have TV shows that I didn't even know existed on DVD.
Gems like Everwood and Absolutely Fabulous. It's really exciting.

Looking through the semi-obscure, (i.e. they don't have it at the Main St. Blockbuster) season's that are arbitrarily thrown in among the other titles I got to thinking about the other great TV shows of yore that I used to spend days waiting for and if there had been box sets at that time, I wouldn't have had a life.

Lets have a look back:

Are You Afraid of The Dark: Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I really believe that the Nickelodeon period from 1993-1997 was the station's hayday, back then the TV told me that Kids Ruled and I believed them dammit. The highlight of my week was SNICK with Are You Afraid of The Dark topping off the two hour kid-fest on my family's living room TV. This show really introduced me to the wonderful world of Campy-Horror, the stories were so cheesy but lots of fun. if it weren't for the midnight society I don't know if I could appreciate Maximum Overdrive and IT the way I do now.

Deadly Games: Now I'm sorry I don't remember more about this show but all you need to know is that Christopher Loyd is a supervillian who draws other villains out of video games to gain total domination in the real world, that should be enough to get this show on DVD so I can watch it over and over again.

Welcome Freshman: 1991-1993. There was a time there when a lot of SNLesque shows started pooping up for kids. All That gave us Amanda Bynes so I thank god for that but Welcome Freshman was my favorite, basically because I imaged that high school would be ultra cool and quirky when I watched these shows, I was disappointed when I became a sophomore at St Joseph Academy and I didn't get to stuff freshmen into basketball hoops.


Now I have to go to class but the list will be continued...

No comments: