Tuesday, March 18, 2008

re-decorating!

Our garbage disposal broke today, which means we will have to put in a work order and hide the cats in a closet for a couple of days which is always a headache. Also the broken garbage disposal has drained any motivation I had to clean the kitchen which is pretty disgusting at this point and smells kind of funny.
The whole thing saddens me because I want a charming little kitchen that I can spend my entire day in cooking delightful things that should be photographed and put in the back pages of Better Homes and Garden. If I had a charming kitchen I would also have a breakfast nook (is that how you spell nook?) where I could enjoy everything I made while the sun shone in through the window.
Since the enclave probably wouldn't appreciate me knocking down that stupid bar in my living room/kitchen to make a nook and a better kitchen I thought of a couple of things I can do to make the domestic experiences more exciting.
1. Get a tea kettle: I'm not really a tea person, I much prefer strong strong coffee, and I also don't see the point of a tea kettle when it only takes me 2 and a half minutes to warm up a cup of water in the microwave but I think I still want a tea kettle.
Like my ideal kitchen a tea kettle is charming and very 1950s house wife, I don't think I would ever use the thing if I had one but I still want it.
When I was younger my dad and I would have tea parties every Friday. He would come home at 10pm and I would get out my favorite tea kettle (it was white with flowers and when you lifted it up it played a song) and we would sit around the kitchen table drinking tea and eating sardines on crackers with mustard (I haven't had this combination since I was about 8 but I somehow think it would not be as delicious now). It was very nice and my tea kettle would bring me back to that time.
2. Buy some awesomely kick knacks to liven the place up: There is this vintage store called Flower Child that has basically stayed in business on people like me who find hideous and tacky things like leg lamps and chairs shaped like a plush cheetah print pump hilarious and worthy decor for the modern home (I say people like me and not me because that high heeled chair will run me about 200 dollars and I am not Daddy Warbucks).
I am sure this store is my one shop stop for everything delightful and fun for my kitchen. I can get some ridiculous salt and peeper shakers shaped like Aunt Jemima and Uncle Mose and a plastic pink toaster. Or a tin sign that advertises for some type of coffee.
By this is the point I have to be careful and go all out, buying one or two 'vintage' (used and sort of gross) things to put on top of the stove just looks like I don't know how to decorate (and I do) but going ape shit and going all out 1970s could give guests the impersin that I am a crazy serial killer instead of fun and kitschy.
I don't really know where I'm going with this but I know I now have to make a trip to Flower Child and spend $500 on used junk to re-decorate my apartment.

I'm sure I can think of more fun things to do with the kitchen and I will but right now I have to go use the plunger we use in the toilet in the sink. yum.

Have a nice breakfast!

1 comment:

emily said...

I was at Goodwill the other day, and there was a whole display on the front register of kitschy figurines. Some of them might have been bells, some of them might have been salt and pepper shakers. I've been buying lots of old mugs from Goodwill lately. I've become a weird hoarder.